Clelands Lawyers Adelaide are proud of our history. We are one of the oldest law firms in South Australia. We were established in 1892 and are named after founder, Edward Erskine Cleland. He was the son of the Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages John Fullerton Cleland. EE Cleland represented South Australia before the Privy Council in the South Australia-Victoria Boundary case. Subsequently he was appointed a Justice of the Supreme Court of South Australia.
The family connection with the firm continued with EE Cleland’s son, Thomas Erskine Cleland, becoming a member. Tom joined the firm in 1919 and became a partner of the firm on 3 February 1921. He continued as an active member of the firm into his 70’s.
Tom was joined in the firm by his son, the founder’s grandson, Michael Edward Erskine Cleland. Michael carried on the family tradition until his death in 1993.
On 1 July 1975 the firm of LA Whitington & Davies merged with Clelands, which then practised under the name of Cleland & Co.
After practising in Pirie Street, Adelaide for many years, in 1987 the firm moved to its current location. Albert Terrace is a Victorian style terrace building built in 1880 at 208 Carrington Street, Adelaide. This two-level building is heritage listed on both the State and City of Adelaide heritage registers and is on the Classified List of the National Trust of South Australia.