Child Maintenance in South Australia

Upon separation the parent with whom the child lives may apply to the Department of Human Services for an assessment of the liability of the non custodial spouse to pay child support.  The assessment will be based on the incomes of each of the parents.  Alternatively a private agreement may be reached between the parents. 

The Department of Human Services will only assess maintenance in respect of a child who is under 18 years of age.  The custodial parent may apply to the Family Court for a maintenance order for a child over 18 years of age.

Clelands Lawyers are one of the most respected Adelaide law firms who practice in family law. For more information our team will be pleased to assist you, contact Ben Farmer, Victoria Treloar or Shelley O'Connell