The Family Court and Children

The Family Court has jurisdiction to deal with most issues relating to children (whether they are born within the marriage or not).  Either parent or a person interested in the welfare of the children (including grandparents, uncles and aunts) may apply to the Family Court for orders relating to the children. The Family Court may determine:

  • Who is responsible for a child’s long term or day to day care, welfare and development (including health, education and religion)
  • With whom the child will live
  • The time the child spends with each parent and other interested parties

All decisions made with respect to the children will be made by the Family Court with regard to the best interests of the children and not the adult. The parents are free to agree a parenting plan which deals with the issues of residence, contact and the long term day to day care of the children.

Clelands Lawyers are one of the most respected Adelaide law firms who practice in family law. For more information our team will be pleased to assist you, contact Ben Farmer or Victoria Treloar